Lettuces have a wide range of shapes and textures—iceberg is very dense with a high water content, while other varieties are curly and more loose. Most lettuce is green, some varieties may have red tips. In general, lettuce does not have a strong taste.
- Keep lettuce for up to 1 week in loose plastic bag in refrigerator.
- If your lettuce is wilted, put the leaves in a bowl of cold water with ice cubes and soak for about 15 minutes.
- Cut up lettuce into bite-sized pieces, toss with olive oil, vinegar, and your favorite herbs, like oregano, for a salad.
- Add nuts and other veggies for more flavors and textures.
Why It's Great
- Vitamin A keeps our eyes working, our immune system strong, and our cells growing.
- Vitamin K helps our bodies heal quickly.