Photo credits (left to right): Photo credits (top to bottom): Flickr: USDAgov; Flickr: Stacy Spensley; Flickr: penelope waits
Green beans, Long bean, Pea shoots, Snow peas, Green peas, Chinese long beans, Fava beans, French beans, Purple hull peas, Sugar snap peas, Winged beans
Snow peas have edible flat pods and very small seeds, while sugar snap peas have larger and sweeter seeds and a thicker pod. Shapes vary from thin, such as the green beans, to wide.
- Choose firm, deeply colored peas.
- Choose beans that are firm, not soft and wrinkled.
- Eat within 1-3 days after purchasing.
- Steam these vegetables and be careful not to overcook them. You'll know they're overcooked if they're mushy.
Why It's Great
- Vitamin A keeps our eyes working, our immune system strong, and our cells growing.
- B Vitamins helps our cells grow and stay healthy.
- Vitamin C keeps our immune system strong and helps our bodies heal quickly.
- Vitamin K helps our bodies heal quickly.
- Fiber helps with healthy digestion and keeps us feeling full. Eating enough fiber has been shown to keep our hearts healthy too.
- Folate, or folic acid, helps our tissues grow and our cells work. Especially important for pregnant women.
- Potassium, a type of electrolyte, helps build muscle and keeps your heart healthy.
- Iron is essential for red blood cells and muscles.
- Zinc is important for a healthy immune system and for healing wounds.
- Proteins are building blocks for our bones, muscles, cartilage, skin, and blood. They provide a variety of nutrients that are essential for health and maintenance of your body.
Sesame Chicken with Peppers and Snow Peas
Sesame seeds, Nonstick cooking spray, Chicken breasts, Snow peas, Red bell pepper, Green bell pepper, Soy sauce, Water, Brown Sugar, Ground ginger, Green onions, Brown rice
Garlic and Basil Green Beans
Green beans, Garlic, Olive oil, Chicken stock, Chicken stock, Cornstarch, Salt, Black pepper, Lemon, Hot sauce, Fresh basil
Snow Pea Daikon Salad
Snow pea tips, Snow peas, Daikon, Carrots, Sesame seeds, Rice wine vinegar, Sugar, Vegetable oil
Split Pea Soup
Olive oil, Onion, Garlic, Celery, Carrot, Dried green split peas, Chicken broth, Parsley, Thyme, Salt, Black pepper, Red wine vinegar
Creole Green Beans
Vegetable oil, Garlic, Green beans, Red bell pepper, Tomatoes, Celery, Salt, Cayenne pepper
Zucchini White Bean Salad
Great northern white beans, Zucchini, Green beans, Dried oregano, Red wine vinegar, Olive oil, Salt, Black pepper, Cheese