Avocados have a green-skinned, fleshy body that are egg-shaped or round. Commercial avocados ripen after harvesting. The fruit is rich and has a subtle flavor. The texture is smooth, almost creamy. It is used in both savory and sweet dishes. Avocados have a high fat content, but this fat is healthy. It is good for your skin, digestion, heart, and joint health.
- Store unripe avocados at room temperature on the counter for 2-4 days.
- Refrigerate when ripe for up to 5 days.
- Cut avocado in half lengthwise around the pit. Quickly hit the pit with a sharp knife and twist to free the pit. Discard.
- Add avocados to salads and sandwiches; spread on toast instead of butter; blend into a smoothie
Why It's Great
- Vitamin E protects cells in our body from damage and keeps our immune system healthy.
- Vitamin K helps our bodies heal quickly.
- Potassium, a type of electrolyte, helps build muscle and keeps your heart healthy.
- Fiber helps with healthy digestion and keeps us feeling full. Eating enough fiber has been shown to keep our hearts healthy too.
- Healthy fats are good for our skin and brain, and help us feel satisfied after a meal.