Photo credits (left to right): Photo credits (top to bottom): Flickr: Olle Svensson; Flickr: emily.laurel504
Hass, Fuerte, Reed
Avocados have a green-skinned, fleshy body that are egg-shaped or round. Commercial avocados ripen after harvesting. The fruit is rich and has a subtle flavor. The texture is smooth, almost creamy. It is used in both savory and sweet dishes. Avocados have a high fat content, but this fat is healthy. It is good for your skin, digestion, heart, and joint health.
How to Cut:
- Cut avocado in half lengthwise around the pit.
- Quickly hit the pit with a sharp knife and twist to free the pit. Discard.
- Cube or slice each half, then scoop out with a spoon or knife.
- Choose avocadoes that are firm but give slightly when pressed with a finger. These are ripe and ready to eat.
- If you buy a hard avocado, leave it on your counter for a couple days to allow it to ripen.
- Store unripe avocados at room temperature on the counter for 2-4 days.
- Refrigerate when ripe for up to 5 days.
- Add avocados to salads and sandwiches
- Spread on toast instead of butter
- Blend into a smoothie.
Why It's Great
- Vitamin E protects cells in our body from damage and keeps our immune system healthy.
- Vitamin K helps our bodies heal quickly.
- Potassium, a type of electrolyte, helps build muscle and keeps your heart healthy.
- Fiber helps with healthy digestion and keeps us feeling full. Eating enough fiber has been shown to keep our hearts healthy too.
- Healthy fats are good for our skin and brain, and help us feel satisfied after a meal.
Avocado, Rice, and Beans
Black beans, Brown rice, Avocado, Spices
Avocado Puree (Baby Food)
Mango and Avocado Fruit Salad
Mango, Avocado, Pineapple, Tangerines, Yogurt, Honey, Powdered sugar, Lime juice, Fresh Lime Zest
Avocados, Tomatillos, Serrano chile pepper, Fresh cilantro, Garlic, Onion, Water, Lemon, Salt
Avocado Orange Soup
Avocados, Salt, Sugar, Lemon juice, Yogurt, Coconut milk, Orange juice, Ground cardamom, Dried shredded coconut
Avocado Garden Salad
Salad greens, Tomatoes, Green onions, Cucumber, Lemon juice, Garlic powder, Black pepper, Salt, Avocado