Photo credits (left to right): Photo credits (top to bottom): Flickr: Katili; Flickr: cobblucas; Flickr: jdn
Red, Green, Yellow, Orange, and Purple Bell Peppers
Sweet bell peppers are glossy, bell-shaped vegetables that come in a variety of colors. Green and purple bell peppers taste slightly bitter compared to the much sweeter red, orange, and yellow bell peppers.
- Look for firm, shiny, bright colored peppers with no browning or soft spots.
- Store peppers in plastic bag in refridgerator for 3-4 days.
- Wash before using them; cut around stem then pull on it to remove core and seeds; cut pepper in half and trim remaining membrane.
- Eat them raw, grilled, sauteed, or roasted; microwave in covered dish with a little water for 4-6 min or until tender
Why It's Great
- Vitamin A keeps our eyes working, our immune system strong, and our cells growing.
- B Vitamins helps our cells grow and stay healthy.
- Vitamin C keeps our immune system strong and helps our bodies heal quickly.
- Vitamin K helps our bodies heal quickly.
- Fiber helps with healthy digestion and keeps us feeling full. Eating enough fiber has been shown to keep our hearts healthy too.
- Lutein and zeaxanthin are important for keeping our eyes and skin healthy.
Moroccan-Style Stuffed Peppers Red and Yellow Bell Pepper Omelets BBQ Turkey in Pepper Shells Potato Sauté with Onions and Bell Peppers Sesame Chicken with Peppers and Snow Peas