Photo credits (left to right): Photo credits (top to bottom): Flickr: Katili; Flickr: cobblucas; Flickr: jdn
Red, Green, Yellow, Orange, and Purple Bell Peppers
Sweet bell peppers are glossy, bell-shaped vegetables that come in a variety of colors. Green and purple bell peppers taste slightly bitter compared to the much sweeter red, orange, and yellow bell peppers.
- Look for firm, shiny, bright colored peppers with no browning or soft spots.
- Store peppers in plastic bag in refridgerator for 3-4 days.
- Wash before using them; cut around stem then pull on it to remove core and seeds; cut pepper in half and trim remaining membrane.
- Eat them raw, grilled, sauteed, or roasted; microwave in covered dish with a little water for 4-6 min or until tender
Why It's Great
- Vitamin A keeps our eyes working, our immune system strong, and our cells growing.
- B Vitamins helps our cells grow and stay healthy.
- Vitamin C keeps our immune system strong and helps our bodies heal quickly.
- Vitamin K helps our bodies heal quickly.
- Fiber helps with healthy digestion and keeps us feeling full. Eating enough fiber has been shown to keep our hearts healthy too.
- Lutein and zeaxanthin are important for keeping our eyes and skin healthy.
Sesame Chicken with Peppers and Snow Peas
Sesame seeds, Nonstick cooking spray, Chicken breasts, Snow peas, Red bell pepper, Green bell pepper, Soy sauce, Water, Brown Sugar, Ground ginger, Green onions, Brown rice
BBQ Turkey in Pepper Shells
Ground turkey, Onion, Green bell pepper, Diced tomatoes, Black beans, Barbecue sauce, Garlic powder, Liquid smoke, Bell peppers
Stuffed Bell Peppers
Green bell peppers, Red bell peppers, White Rice, Corn, Ripe olives, Green onions, Seasoned salt, Garlic pepper, Diced tomatoes, Red wine, Tomato paste
Moroccan-Style Stuffed Peppers
Brown rice, Chicken stock, Ground beef, Ginger, Turmeric, Cinnamon, Safflower, Carrots, Onion, Garlic, Salt, Black pepper, Tomato sauce, Parsley, Cilantro, Bell peppers
Red and Yellow Bell Pepper Omelets
Olive oil, Red bell pepper, Yellow bell pepper, Egg whites, Basil, Black pepper, Nonstick cooking spray, Parmesan cheese
Potato Sauté with Onions and Bell Peppers
Water, Russet potatoes, Vegetable oil, Onion, Bell pepper, Corn, Tomato, Oregano, Salt, Black pepper