Photo credits (left to right): Photo credits (top to bottom): Flickr: MattJP; Flickr: JMR_Photography; Flickr: ilovebutter
Red Onion, Yellow Onion, White Onion, Pearl Onion, Scallion (green onion), Cipolline onions, Vidalia onions, Leek, Shallots
Onions are an edible bulb that grow underneath soil. Onions are commonly used in cooking and can be eaten raw or cooked. They have many layers inside with thin papery layers on the outside. They are crunchy and pungent when raw, and are soft and sweet when cooked.
- Onions should have dry, papery skins and be very hard.
- Store in well-ventilated, cool area.
- Wrap scallions (green onions) and sweet onions in plastic and store in refrigerator.
- Cut off stem and root of onion, remove outer skin, cut in half and lay each side on the flat side to slice/chop.
- If you chop onions from the top, and not the root end, you will not cry.
- Cut the onion in water when possible.
- When you need only a small portion of an onion, do not peel the whole onion. Cut off the size you need and peel it. The remainder will keep longer in the refrigerator with the skin on.
Why It's Great
- B Vitamins helps our cells grow and stay healthy.
- Vitamin C keeps our immune system strong and helps our bodies heal quickly.
- Fiber helps with healthy digestion and keeps us feeling full. Eating enough fiber has been shown to keep our hearts healthy too.
- Allicin is an antioxidant that helps keep our heart healthy and protects our cells from damage.
Potato Sauté with Onions and Bell Peppers
Water, Russet potatoes, Vegetable oil, Onion, Bell pepper, Corn, Tomato, Oregano, Salt, Black pepper
French Onion Soup
Butter, Onions, White sugar, All-purpose flour, Water, Red wine, Condensed beef broth, French baguette, Swiss cheese
Warm Lentil Salad
Lentils, Vinegar, Carrots, Dijon mustard, Onion, Dried thyme, Garlic, Salt, Olive oil, Pepper
Tofu Vegetable Stir Fry with Garlic
Vegetable oil, Garlic, Onion, Vegetables, Soy sauce, Water, Tofu, Black pepper
Slow Cooked Meat & Onion Stew
Beef, Worcestershire sauce, Garlic powder, Onions, Potatoes, Carrot, Celery, Cream of mushroom soup, Dry onion soup mix
Brown lentils, Water, Onions, Olive oil, Ground cumin, Long-grain white rice, Salt, Black pepper