Mangoes vary in size and color, but are usually red, yellow, or green on the outside and yellow or orange inside. They have a single flat, oblong pit that does not separate easily from the pulp. Ripe, unpeeled mangoes smell very sweet.
How to Prepare:
- Clean mangoes by rinsing under cool running water and scrubbing with a brush or rubbing with your hands. Dry with paper towels or air ary.
- While holding the mango with the stem at the top, slice down just to the side of the stem. Then make another slice, parallel to the first, on the other side of the stem. Your goal is to create two halves, leaving the pit in the center slice.
- Next, add vertical and horizontal cuts to each half to create a grid, without slicing all the way through the skin.
- Finally, use a knife, spoon, or glass to scoop out the cubes of mango.
- OR: You can also remove the skin by using the tip of a sharp knife to make 4-6 shallow cuts in the skin from the top almost to the stem end of the mango. Peel back the skin as you would a banana and eat around the pit.
- Keep whole, uncut mangoes at room temperature and use within 3-5 days.
- Once cut up, store mango in an airtight container in the refridgerator and eat within 1-2 days.
- Whole mangoes can be stored in the refridgerator in a plastic bag for up to 1 week.
- A mango is ripe when it feels soft if you press the skin.
- Add fresh mango to a fruit or vegetable salad.
- Blend in smoothies or bake in pastries/breads.
- Makes a great addition to salsa or tacos.
- Grill and enjoy over fish or chicken.
- Can be a recipe substitute for peaches or nectarines.
- Make a mango compote—simmer with water, sugar, lime juice, and cinnamon for about 30 minutes. Skim froth off periodically. Mash/blend according to your preference.
Why It's Great
- Vitamin A keeps our eyes working, our immune system strong, and our cells growing.
- Vitamin C keeps our immune system strong and helps our bodies heal quickly.
- Vitamin E protects cells in our body from damage and keeps our immune system healthy.
- Potassium, a type of electrolyte, helps build muscle and keeps your heart healthy.