Photo credits (left to right): Photo credits (top to bottom): Flickr: Dan4th; Flickr: Sheep purple; Flickr: Justus Blümer
Kiwifruit, Golden Kiwifruit
Kiwis have a furry, greenish-brown skin and bright green or golden flesh. The have rows of tiny, black, edible seeds inside. The fruit has a soft texture and a sweet but unique flavor.
- Choose kiwi that are firm but give to pressure.
- Hard kiwi will taste sour.
- Avoid kiwi that is very soft, wrinkled, or bruised.
- Kiwi should be stored away from sun or heat.
- You can speed up the ripening process by putting the fruits in a paper bag with an apple, banana or pear.
- Ripe kiwi can be stored either at room temperature for 1-2 days or in the refridgerator for 2-3 days.
- You can eat the skin of the kiwi (the fuzz can be rubbed off before eating if desired) as the skin contains many nutrients.
- Slice kiwi or eat like an apple.
- Add kiwi to fruit salads, top yogurt with kiwi, or chop up into a tropical salsa.
Why It's Great
- Vitamin C keeps our immune system strong and helps our bodies heal quickly.
- Fiber helps with healthy digestion and keeps us feeling full. Eating enough fiber has been shown to keep our hearts healthy too.
Honey Gingered Fruit Salad
AmaZING Fruit Salad
Fruit Salad Sundae
Grilled Fish with Mango and Coconut Salad