Photo credits (left to right): Photo credits (top to bottom): Flickr: OakleyOriginals; Flickr: Qfamily; Flickr: Anthony Cramp
Cilantro, Basil, Flat-leaf (Italian) parsley, Curly-leaf parsley, Rosemary, Mint, Thyme, Sage, Tarragon
Herbs are strong-smelling, flavorful plants that are added to dishes to enhance flavor. In addition to adding flavor, herbs easily add nutrients and antioxidants your food. You can grow them at home in small pots or in a garden so you always have them on hand.
- Choose herbs that are brightly colored and sturdy.
- Avoid herbs that are brown or yellowed, or wilted.
- Herbs should have a strong, pleasant smell.
- Cilantro will stay good for 2-3 days in the refrigerator and 1-2 days at room temperature.
- Parsley will stay good for 3-4 weeks in the refrigerator; don't store at room temperature.
- Store mint in the refrigerator in a resealable plastic bag.
- Tear herbs with your hands or chop with a sharp knife.
- Use herbs to add a punch of flavor to any dish, like soups and stews, meats, vegetable side dishes, and even fruit.
- Adding herbs to meat or vegetables on the grill will help protect from carcinogens produced by grilling.
- It's best to add delicate herbs like basil at the end of cooking to retain flavor.
- Heartier herbs, like rosemary, can be added to dishes early, especially for roasting meats in the oven.
- Add a cool flavor to fruit salad by adding mint leaves.
Why It's Great
- Vitamin C keeps our immune system strong.
- Vitamins C and K help our bodies heal quickly.
- Iron is essential for red blood cells and muscles.
Herbed Potato Salad
Red potatoes, Italian dressing, Spicy brown mustard, Parsley, Garlic salt, Black pepper, Red bell pepper, Green bell pepper, Green onions
Herbed Vegetable Combo
Water, Zucchini, Yellow squash, Green bell pepper, Celery, Onion, Caraway seeds, Garlic powder, Tomatoes
Spinach and Cilantro Salad
Spinach, Tomatoes, Onion, Fresh cilantro, Olive oil, Lemon, Lime, Cotija cheese, Tortilla chips
Fresh cilantro, Red onion, Green bell pepper, Hot sauce, Plum tomatoes, Red wine vinegar, Lime, Ground cumin, Olive oil, Salt
Lemongrass Chicken Soup
Chicken legs, Lemongrass, Green onions, Onion, Fresh ginger, Serrano chile pepper, Peppercorns, Water, Cilantro, Mint, Soy sauce, Mushrooms
Carrot, Mango, Cucumber, Rice paper, Mint leaves