Photo credits (left to right): Photo credits (top to bottom): Flickr: John Morgan; Flickr: John Morgan; Flickr: SummerTomato
Whole carrots, Baby carrots
Carrots are long root vegetables that taper at one end. They are a crunchy, sweet vegetable and are usually orange. There are some varieties of carrots that come in shades of purples and yellows. "Baby cut carrots" are often called baby carrots, but are actually cut down to 2-inch pieces from fully grown carrots.
- Choose crisp, firm, deep orange colored carrots without cracks.
- Carrots can be stored for 1-2 weeks.
- Store them in the coolest part of the refrigerator in a plastic bag or wrapped in a paper towel to reduce the amount of condensation that can form.
- Keep them away from apples, pears, potatoes, and other fruits and veggetables that produce ethylene gas; it will cause them to become bitter.
- Don't store on the counter at room temperature.
- Wash and scrub carrots before eating.
- If the stem end is green, cut it off as it will taste bitter.
- Carrots can be left whole or grated, shredded, or sliced into sticks or rounds.
- Steam carrots with a little bit of water in a microwave-safe dish in the microwave for 5-10 minutes.
- Boil carrots in a little bit of water in a pot on the stove for 5-7 minutes.
- Roasting carrots in the oven gives them a sweeter flavor. Cut carrots into 1.5 inch pieces and coat with oil, salt, and pepper. Transfer carrots to a baking sheet and spread out in one layer. Cook at 400˚F in the oven for about 20 minutes or until browned and tender.
Why It's Great
- Vitamin C keeps our immune system strong and helps our bodies heal quickly.
- Vitamin D is essential for strong bones. Our body also absorbs Vitamin D from the sun.
- Fiber helps with healthy digestion and keeps us feeling full. Eating enough fiber has been shown to keep our hearts healthy too.
Moroccan Carrot Salad
Carrots, Onion, Lemon, Canola oil, Curry powder, Salt, Black pepper, Raisins
Carrot, Jicama, and Orange Salad
Carrots, Jicama, Oranges, Fresh parsley, Fresh lime juice, Mayonnaise, Salt, Ground chili powder
Carrots and Chayote with Lemon
Carrots, Green onion, Chayote, Lemon juice, Water, Salt, Olive oil, Crushed red pepper flakes, Garlic
Olive oil, Garlic, Fresh cilantro, Chlli powder, Onion, Carrots, Potato, Water, Salt
Roasted Root Vegetables
Nonstick cooking spray, Beets, Carrots, Sweet potatoes, Thyme, Fresh parsley, Salt, Vegetable oil
Carrots, Butter, Honey, Dijon mustard, Salt, Pepper, Parsley