Photo credits (left to right): Photo credits (top to bottom): Flickr: rprata; Flickr: Stacy Spensley; Flickr: Editor B
Whole Wheat bread, Whole Grain bread, Corn tortillas, Whole Wheat tortillas, Pita bread, Lavash
Bread is made from flour or meal mixed with other dry and liquid ingredients. The dough is then kneaded and shaped into loaves and baked. A tortilla is a type of thin flatbread that is made from finely ground flour or cornmeal.
- Look for the words "whole wheat" or "whole grain" in the ingredient list on breads. "Enriched flour" is not the same as whole wheat, even though the front label may say "Whole Wheat" on it.
- Try whole wheat flour tortillas for something heartier and more filling.
- Choose corn tortillas if you want to keep your blood sugar under control.
- For a longer shelf life, breads and tortillas can be kept in the refrigerator.
Why It's Great
- Whole wheat and whole grain breads are full of fiber and vitamins that help you feel full.
Corn tortillas, Vegetable oil, Refried beans, Onion, Green chili peppers, Red taco sauce, Vegetables, Mozzarella cheese, Cilantro
Warming Tortillas (How-to)
Apple Tuna Sandwiches
Tuna, Apple, Vanilla yogurt, Mustard, Honey, Lettuce, Bread
Tortilla, Peanut butter, Cinnamon, Banana, Raisins
English muffins, Tomato sauce, Cheese, Broccoli, Red onion, Bell pepper, Spinach, Pineapple, Mushrooms, Olives
French Toast Sticks with Berry Syrup
Whole wheat bread, Eggs, Egg whites, Milk, Orange juice, Vanilla extract, Ground cinnamon, Nonstick cooking spray, Berries, Maple syrup, Ground cinnamon