Photo credits (left to right): Photo credits (top to bottom): Flickr: Robert Gaskin; Flickr: timlewisnm; Flickr: Stacy Spensley
Tomatillo, also known as husk tomato or Mexican green tomato
Tomatillos are green, tomato-shaped vegetables covered by a papery husk. They are about 1 to 2 inches in diameter that can ripen to be yellow, but taste best when green. Tomatillos are used to make green salsa (salsa verde) and are commonly used in enchiladas.
- Choose tomatillos that are firm, green, and shiny that are firmly attached to their husk.
- Avoid tomatillos that are yellow or feel sticky.
- Store tomatillos at room temperature for up to a week loosely wrapped in plastic in the fridge.
- Remove the husks and rinse tomatillos before cooking. They may feel sticky, and that's ok.
- To make Salsa Verde, roast or boil the tomatillos for about 5 minutes until tender. Put tomatillos in a blender with lime juice, onions, cilantro, and chili peppers and pulse until smooth. Season to taste with salt.
Why It's Great
- Vitamin C keeps our immune system strong and helps our bodies heal quickly.
- Vitamin K helps our bodies heal quickly.
- Niacin is a B vitamin that helps our body change carbohydrates into energy and improves our circulation.
- Potassium, a type of electrolyte, helps build muscle and keeps your heart healthy.
- Fiber helps with healthy digestion and keeps us feeling full. Eating enough fiber has been shown to keep our hearts healthy too.
Roasted Tomatillo Salsa
Tomatillos, Serrano chile pepper, Onion, Cilantro, Lime juice, Salt, Sugar, Olive oil
Chicken Tomatillo Salad
Tomatillos, Light Italian dressing, Anaheim chili, Black pepper, Chicken, Red bell pepper, Corn, Carrots, Green onions, Cilantro
Chicken and Vegetables with Mole Sauce
Chicken legs, Chicken thighs, Ancho chili pepper, Chicken broth, Onion, Tomatillos, Ground cumin, Salt, Nopales (Cactus leaves), Green beans
Tomatillos, Anaheim chilies, Green onions, Garlic, Jalapeño peppers, Lime juice, Sugar, Oil, Pork tenderloin, Cilantro, Salt
Tomatillos, Onion, Cilantro, Lime juice, Salt, Sugar, Serrano chile pepper
Avocados, Tomatillos, Serrano chile pepper, Fresh cilantro, Garlic, Onion, Water, Lemon, Salt