Hi and thank you for your question!
Artificial sweeteners, such as sucralose are controversial. Sucralose has been approved by the Food and Drug Administration to be safe for consumption, along with four other artificial sweeteners. Animal studies have
shown that sucralose has few toxic effects, even at larger doses than most people would consume.1 However, some studies have suggested small amounts of sucralose can harm gut health and cause inflammation, which can result in negative effects on our digestion, immune system and overall health.2
Since sucralose was only approved in the United States about 30 years ago (in1998), the long-term effects of consuming sucralose remain unclear and more research is needed to determine the benefits and risks for human health. I suggest doing your best to avoid artificial sweeteners for now, but I wouldn't be too worried about occasional consumption.
Hope this helps!
-- Anna, RD and Joshua, RDN
1. Goldsmith, L. 2000. “Acute and Subchronic Toxicity of Sucralose.” Food and Chemical Toxicology 38: 53–69. Available at: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/10882818/
2. Bian, Xiaoming et al. “Gut Microbiome Response to Sucralose and Its Potential Role in Inducing Liver Inflammation in Mice.” Frontiers in physiology vol. 8 487. 24 Jul. 2017, doi:10.3389/fphys.2017.00487