Photo credits (left to right): Photo credits (top to bottom): Flickr: srqpix; Flickr: enigmachck1; Flickr: AlphaTangoBravo / Adam Baker
Coriander, Cumin, Curry powder, Fennel, Garlic powder, Onion powder, Dried mustard, Pepper (black, cayenne, chili, white), Paprika
Spices can be used in all types of cooking and food preparation to add flavor. Experiment with them to add variety to your favorite dishes!
- If possible, only buy the amount of spices that you'll use before the expiration date since the strength of the flavor decreases over time.
- Look for packets of spices rather than jars -- many grocery stores sell them and they're much less expensive.
- Try to always have staple spices on hand to season meals on a regular basis. Some ideas include black pepper, chili powder, garlic powder, curry powder, and cinnamon.
- Store spices in a cool, dry place.
- Add spices while cooking and to replace salt. You can sometimes avoid using salt altogether with the right combination of spices! Try these combinations:
- Mexican flavors: cumin, oregano, chili powder, garlic powder
- Morrocan or Middle Eastern flavors: cumin, chili powder, ginger, garlic powder, cinnamon
- Indian flavoris: cumin, chili powder, ginger, garlic powder, curry powder
- Italian flavors: oregano, garlic powder, black pepper
- Desserts or winter stews: ginger, cinnamon
Why It's Great
- Many spices are full of antioxidants, which help keep your body healthy by protecting cells from damage.
Onion powder, Garlic powder, Ground red pepper, Chili powder, Paprika, Black pepper, Ground thyme
Spiced Trail Mix
Nuts, Dried Fruit, Sunflower seeds, Pretzels, Paprika, Salt, Dried shredded coconut, Chocolate chips
Onion, Celery, Ground turkey, Stewed tomatoes, Red beans, tomato soup
Vegetable Noodle Bowl
Whole wheat spaghetti, Soy sauce, Toasted sesame oil, Chili sauce, Garlic, Scallions, Cucumber, Carrots, Cabbage, Salt, Black pepper, Firm tofu
Fava Beans in Spicy Tomato Sauce
Olive oil, Onion, Garlic, Ethiopian berbere spice blend, Cumin, Tomato, Salt, Black pepper, Fava beans
Arabian Spice Blend
Black pepper, Paprika, Ground cumin, Ground coriander, Ground cloves, Ground nutmeg, Ground cinnamon, Ground cardamom