A starchy, large banana that is used in cooking, plantains have less sugar than bananas. They can be consumed when still green, but are always cooked.
- Store plantains at room temperature in well ventilated area, never in the fridge.
- Green plantains will ripen slowly over several days to weeks.
- Once ripe, use within 2-7 days.
- Plantains must be cooked before they are eaten.
- Use them as a starchy vegetable when green and as a sweet side dish or dessert when ripe (the skin turns black).
Why It's Great
- Vitamin A keeps our eyes working, our immune system strong, and our cells growing.
- Vitamin C keeps our immune system strong and helps our bodies heal quickly.
- Potassium, a type of electrolyte, helps build muscle and keeps your heart healthy.