Whole coconuts can be difficult to open. Some are sold with small cracks already. A few taps around the tips with a hammer should open a coconut.
Store whole coconut on the counter for a few months. Once opened, refrigerate in a plastic bag. Opened coconut keeps for up to one week.
- To open, hold the coconut over a bowl. Tap firmly down the center line with the dull side of a cleaver. Turn the coconut several times as you tap, until you see it crack open. Pry the two sides apart and drain the liquid in the bowl.
- The liquid can be enjoyed as a beverage.
- Bake the halves at 400˚F for 20 minutes to help separate the meat from the shell.
- Use a flat screwdriver to wedge pry the meat and shell apart.
- Using a peeler, remove the skin of the meat. Then grate or grind the meat as you like.
Why It's Great
Cholesterol free, very low sodium, good source of fiber.