Help with meal plan, new to dieting. 3rd shift 7:30 Pm to 6 am. I wake up around 3 pm. What would I consider breakfast lunch and dinner? And is 1500 cal a day unhealthy for 245 pound man?

Hello and thank you for submitting your questions!

What you consider breakfast, lunch and dinner is entirely up to you. I understand it can be difficult fitting meals into your work schedule, but I encourage you to listen to your body and be mindful of your hunger and energy levels during your shift and waking hours. This can give you an idea of when to eat and how to plan your meals around your schedule. We have many meal plans to help you get started! Check out these: 3 Quick and Filling Breakfasts, 3 Simple Lunchtime Meals and 5 Vegetarian Dinners.

The total number of calories you need each day depends on many other factors besides your weight and sex, such as your age, height, and level of physical activity.1 Your body needs calories to function properly, and it is possible that 1,500 calories a day may not be the appropriate amount for you. If you eat fewer calories than your body needs for long-term, you may be putting your health at risk. I encourage you to ask your doctor for a referral to consult with a registered dietitian who can work with you more closely to help plan your meals and and determine the amount of calories that is appropriate and nourishing for you.

There are many things you can do to improve your overall health that does not involve restrictive calorie diets, such as improving your eating habits, being more physically active and getting a good night sleep. Visit our Lifestyle pages for tips you can start today for long-term health and wellness!     

Hope this helps!

Reference:
1. U.S. Department of Health and Human Services and U.S. Department of Agriculture. 2015 – 2020 Dietary Guidelines for Americans. 8th Edition. December 2015. Available at https://health.gov/dietaryguidelines/2015/guidelines/  

Category: