I think I made a mistake in dropping my caloric intake from 3000 to 1500. I'm feeling sluggish and fatigued. How do I recover without putting a bunch of weight back on?

Hello and thank you for submitting your question!

There are many other factors that influence your weight other than calories, such as your age, gender and level of physical activity and even stress.1  

Our bodies are naturally wired to maintain a weight that is biologically ideal for us, also known as your “setpoint.”2 The system in which our brains and bodies work together to regulate our weight only works if we allow it to do so. Changes in our diet, lifestyle and environment can affect this system and may also be harmful to our health.

Feeling sluggish and fatigued could be a sign that your metabolism has slowed down and that your body is not getting what it needs to function normally. If you are still experiencing these symptoms, I encourage you to discuss this with a trusted health professional and to consider consulting with a dietitian to guide you in planning a caloric intake that is more ideal and nourishing for you.

You can also explore our Lifestyle page to learn more on what you can do to build more healthy habits.

Hope this helps!

References:

1. Institute of Medicine (US) Subcommittee on Military Weight Management. Weight Management: State of the Science and Opportunities for Military Programs. Washington (DC): National Academies Press (US); 2004. 3, Factors That Influence Body Weight. Available from: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK221834/

2. Bacon, Linda. Health At Every Size : the Surprising Truth about Your Weight. Dallas, TX :BenBella Books, 2010. Print.

Category: