First off give yourself a pat on the back for wanting to provide healthy meals and snacks for your family! Nutrition is very important especially for the growing children in our lives. By introducing healthy eating habits early on in your children’s lives it sets them up for success when working towards a healthy lifestyle. I have a few great recommendations for how to make healthy eating fun for the entire family.
- Shop Smart: Have your kids help select produce at the store. By allowing children to choose a nutritious item that will be in their breakfast, lunch or dinner they get more excited about trying it.
- Cook Healthy: Involve your children in the cooking process. Let them help with cutting, mixing and the preparation of meals.
- Make it a sit-down event: Sit down at the dinner table together as a family and enjoy your meal while conversing about the day’s experiences.
- Instill Healthy Habits: As the adult you can help your children create healthy habits by being a healthy role model. Try to fill half of your plate with fruits and vegetables, choose lower sodium options, and make at least half of your grains whole grain. Also, don’t forget the beverages! Try to consume water instead of sugary beverages.
- Snack Smart: After visiting the store, take some time to cut up fresh fruits and vegetables so they are an easy snack option for your children during the week. If possible make them at eye level for the kids in the fridge so they can easily grab them when snack time hits.
You can also find some other great tips on the Feeding Children healthy lifestyle page of Eatfresh.org. EatFresh also has over 100 Kid-Friendly Recipes to choose from which is a great starting point for some recipe inspiration!