Hello. I am a 35 year old male, 5'8" tall and 270lbs. I would like to get down to 220lbs over the next year. I eat approx. 2700-2800 calories per day and burn 400-500 calories per day in exercise. Is this sufficient to meet my goal?

Hi there! Thank you for your question!

To lose weight, it is recommended to reduce the number of calories you consume from foods and beverages and to increase physical activity.1 Technically speaking, you would need to create a calorie deficit (i.e. burning more calories than you consume) of approximately 480 calories to lose 50lbs over the next year. Although your current diet and exercise routine may be sufficient to meet your weight loss goal, there are many other factors to consider that can affect your weight, such as your genetics, environment and lifestyle.2

Counting calories and tracking weight loss may not be effective in promoting long-term health and wellness.3 Rather than focusing on calories, consider the quality of what you consume. There is emerging research that shows diet quality (i.e. the nutritional value of foods and beverages) can help you achieve and maintain a healthy weight.4 High quality foods include fruits, vegetables, whole grains and other food groups that are recommended in the Healthy Eating Plate.

Explore our Lifestyle page to learn more on what you can do to build more healthy habits!

Hope this helps!

References:

1. U.S. Department of Health and Human Services and U.S. Department of Agriculture. 2015–2020 Dietary Guidelines for Americans. 8th Edition. December 2015. Available at https://health.gov/dietaryguidelines/2015/guidelines/

2. Institute of Medicine (US) Subcommittee on Military Weight Management. Weight Management: State of the Science and Opportunities for Military Programs. Washington (DC): National Academies Press (US); 2004. 3, Factors That Influence Body Weight. Available from: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK221834/

3. Bombak, A. Obesity, Health at Every Size, and Public Health. Am J Public Health. 2014 February; 104(2): e60–e67

4. “The Best Diet: Quality Counts.” Obesity Prevention Source, 15 Mar. 2018, www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/healthy-weight/best-diet-quality-counts

Category: