Whole wheat pasta is a healthy choice because it contains unprocessed whole wheat flour, which means its natural bran, germ, fiber, vitamins and minerals remain intact. Quinoa pasta and brown rice pasta are healthy gluten-free options.
- Store pasta in a cool, dry, dark place, like your pantry.
- Leftover cooked pasta can be stored in the refridgerator for later use.
- In a large pot, bring water to a boil. Add pasta and cook for about 10 minutes (or as indicated on package directions). Drain pasta with a collander.
- Serve with a tomato sauce and sauteed vegetables for a warm, filling meal.
Why It's Great
- Unlike white pasta, the bran and germ part of the grain stay intact in whole wheat products.
- Whole wheat pasta will also keep you feeling full longer than white pasta.
- B Vitamins helps our cells grow and stay healthy.
- Fiber helps with healthy digestion and keeps us feeling full. Eating enough fiber has been shown to keep our hearts healthy too.
Magnesium helps with muscle function and energy production.
Manganese helps to keep our bones and nervous system healthy.