Olives are small fruits that grow on trees and are native to the Mediterranean, Asia, and Africa. They are egg-shaped with a shiny appearance and have pits on the inside. Some olives that you can buy in the store have the pits already removed. Olives are pickled and stored in jars or pressed to make olive oil.
- Store olives in an air-tight container in the refrigerator.
- Pickled olives can be eaten by themselves -- just be careful not to eat too many if you're watching your sodium intake.
- Add sliced olives to homemade pizza or to a salad.
Why It's Great
- Vitamin E protects cells in our body from damage and keeps our immune system healthy.
- Healthy fats are good for our skin and brain, and help us feel satisfied after a meal.
- Antioxidants help protect our cells from damage due to normal body functions and environmental factors.