Jicama is a root that is also known as Mexican yam or Mexican turnip. The white inside of a jicama has a texture similar to a raw potato. It tastes sweet and starchy, and it is usually eaten raw, with some salt, lemon, or lime juice and chili powder sprinkled on top.
- Store unpeeled jicama in a plastic bag in the refridgerator for up to 2 weeks.
- Remove skin with a vegetable peeler or sharp knife. Cut the jicama into slices or cubes.
- Serve it with a dip as an appetizer; or add it to a salad for a crunchy, juicy texture.
- Serve raw slices with chili powder, lime juice, and salt.
Why It's Great
- Vitamin C keeps our immune system strong and helps our bodies heal quickly.
- Fiber helps with healthy digestion and keeps us feeling full. Eating enough fiber has been shown to keep our hearts healthy too.