Leafy stalks produce ears that contain the corn kernels, which are grains. The common corn we consume is called sweet corn and like it's name, has a sweetness to it and can be eaten right off of the stalk.
- Store ears of corn in their husks in the refrigerator for up to 1-2 days.
- Corn can also be stored at room temperature for 1-2 days.
- Remove the husk and silk before eating.
Did you know that fresh corn can be eaten raw? It can also be boiled, grilled, roasted, or microwaved. Try lime and chili pepper, or lemon and herbs to season your corn instead of using salt.
- Boil Method: Remove husks from corn and rinse under water to remove dirt. Fill a pot with water and bring to a boil. Gently add corn to the boiling water and cook for 5-7 minutes. Test for doneness with a fork; it should be soft. Remove corn with tongs.
- Grill Method: Remove husks from corn. Tear off multiple sheets of foil and brush a light coat of butter on one side. Sprinkle with salt or other seasonings, like chili pepper. Tightly wrap corn in foil. Grill for 10-12 minutes.
- Roasting Method: Preheat your oven to 350˚F. Place ears of corn directly on oven rack. Roast them for about 25 minutes, or until soft. Remove them from the oven and season with butter and herbs or spices.
- Microwave Method: Trim husks on the ends so they'll fit in the microwave. Remove very dry leaves or dry silk to prevent fires. Place one or two ears (with husks still on) in the center of the microwave. Microwave on High for 2-3 minutes. Allow corn to sit for a minute or two after microwaving to allow for more cooking. Carefully remove the husk and silk; the corn and husk will still be hot. Add butter and your favorite seasonings.
To make popcorn:
- Heat 3 tablespoons of oil in a large pot on the stove.
- Put a couple kernels in the pot and cover with a lid, waiting for them to pop so you know it's hot enough.
- Once they pop, put 1/3 cup of popcorn kernels in the pot and cover with a lid.
- When the popping slows to several seconds between pops, remove from heat and remove the lid. Immediately transfer the popcorn into a large bowl.
- Eat it plain or sprinkle your favorite herbs and spices on top.
Why It's Great
- Fiber helps with healthy digestion and keeps us feeling full. Eating enough fiber has been shown to keep our hearts healthy too.
- Folate, or folic acid, helps our tissues grow and our cells work. Especially important for pregnant women.
- Potassium, a type of electrolyte, helps build muscle and keeps your heart healthy.